Leicester Tigers are an English rugby union club that plays in the Aviva Premiership.
They have become the most successful English club since the introduction of rugby and have been English champions a record 10 times.
Not only that, but that have appeared in a record nine successive Premiership finals (from 2005 – 2013).
The Tigers are one of only four teams (Gloucester, Bath and Wasps) who have never been relegated from the top division.
Not only are they the most successful English team, but also the most successful English side in Europe as they are the only team to have played in every Heineken Cup.
Leicester Tigers was formed in August 1880 from a combination of three clubs – Leicester Societies AFC, Leicester Amateur FC and Leicester Alert. The team played their first match again Moseley at the Belgrave Cricket and Cycle Ground. They were first known as ‘Leicester Football Club’.
In January 1881 the club played their first game at their new home venue, Victoria Park.
It was in February 1885 that the Leicester Daily Post wrote “the Tiger stripes were keeping well together”, which was the first reference to the now famous nickname ‘The Tigers’.
Leicester played their first ever cup final in April 1889 but unfortunately lost to Coventry, who won the Midland Counties Cup.
Before 1891, the team wore a black kit. But this year they wore their famous scarlet, green and white colours for the first time, in a vertical stripe formation.
Welford Road ground opened in September 1892, which is the clubs current ground today.
The players’ kit was switched to scarlet, green and white hoops in September 1895.
In April 1898, Leicester Tigers won their first ever trophy after beating Moseley. This win was the start of a good run for the club, and they went on to win the Midland Counties Cup for the next seven seasons.
After their 7th win, they dropped out of the cup “to give other teams a chance”.
The clubs home ground Welford Road held its first international match in 1902 which saw England beat Ireland. Jack Miles became the clubs first international player in 1903.
In 1926, some of the players began to wear letters on their shirts to identify them. It was in September 1931 that the entire team wore letters.
Clocks were unveiled on the stands at Welford Road as a tribute to the late Eric Thornelow who was Honorary Secretary 1928-1957.
In 1964, floodlights were installed at the Welford Road ground. A new scoreboard was added in 1977, followed by a clubhouse extension in 1978.
Also in 1978, Leicester Tigers reach their first final at Twickenham, but lost to Gloucester. They went on to win the John Player Cup for the first time the following year (1979).
To honour the centenary of the club’s foundation in 1980, Leicester were the first English club to go on a tour of the Southern Hemisphere.
The John Player Cup was won for a 3rd successive season in 1981 and the original trophy is displayed at the Clubhouse today.
The Leicester ground opened a new changing room, medical room and weights room under the Crumbie Stand in 1985.
Leicester Tigers became the Courage League champions in April 1988 after beating Waterloo.
A full-time coach was appointed in 1990 for the first time, with Tony Russ getting the job.
Welford Road celebrated its centenary in 1992 with two special matches. Leicester lost to an England XV in the first match but beat a Leicestershire XV in the second.
The club won the Pilkington Cup in May 1993 after beating Harlequins in the Twickenham final.
A new Alliance & Leicester stand was used for the first time in September and was officially opened the following month.
1996 saw some new faces at the club with David Wheeler appointed the club’s first Chief Executive and Bob Dwyer the Director of Rugby.
Leicester won the Pilkington Cup again in 1997 after beating Sale. Also in this year, a record of six Leicester players were named in the British Lions squad to tour South Africa.
In 2001 the Tigers win the Heineken Cup for the first time. They also won the Zurich Championship and the Premiership.
The team’s winning streak continued in the following year (2002) and they won the Premiership for the fourth time and the Heineken Cup, which was the first time a club retained the cup.
In 2010, Leicester retained the Guinness Premiership title, which is the club’s third in four years and ninth in total.
The club made it to the Premiership final at Twickenham in 2012 but missed out to Harlequins.
Leicester played in the Premiership final for the ninth consecutive time in 2013 which saw them beat local rivals Northampton Saints and lift the trophy.
Welford Road Stadium
Welford Road stadium is the home ground of the Leicester Tigers. It has four stands – The MET-Rx stand, The Goldsmiths Stand, The Holland and Barrett Stand and The Clubhouse Stand.
Below is a list of the bars and suites that you can find in the stadium:
The Final Whistle
The Final Whistle bar is the main bar open to the public before and after a match. It is located on the ground floor of the MET-Rx Stand.
This suite is located in the MET-Rx Stand and is perfect for enjoying match day hospitality.
The Droglites Bar is situated on the ground floor of The Goldsmiths Stand and is open to the public before and after a game.
FUN FACT: ‘Droglites’ is an anagram of ‘Old Tigers’.
The XV is also situation on the ground floor of The Goldsmiths Stand and is an exclusive lounge reserved for XV Club members.
Try Line Club
The Try Line Club is a self-contained suite situated on the first floor of The Goldsmiths Stand. It has private bar facilities and can hold up to 200 guests.
There are executive suites available on the second and third floors of The Goldsmiths Stand which all have panoramic views of the pitch.
The Mark offers a self-contained area with a relaxed atmosphere and a large private bar. It is located in The Holland and Barratt Stand.
This bar is located in The Holland and Barratt Stand and is next to The Mark. The ABC Bar is open to the public on match days before kick off.
The Leicestershire Room is situated in The Clubhouse Stand. It is an ideal place for meetings and holds up to 16 people.
The Captain’s Bar is located on the ground floor of The Clubhouse Stand. It is open to the public on match days before kick-off.
On the first floor of The Clubhouse Stand is the Tiger Bar. All the major trophies that have been won by the club are displayed in this bar. Hot food and sandwiches are available to purchase here and a live band provides post-match entertainment.
The Barbarians Lounge is located on the first floor of The Clubhouse Stand and has a collection of Barbarians and Tigers memorabilia from all over the world.
The European Suite
This suite is located on the first floor of The Clubhouse Stand and is ideal for private dining, meetings and celebrations.
Leicester Tigers Store
The official Leicester Tigers Store is situated at the end of The Clubhouse Stand and has a huge selection of merchandise to purchase.
There are many different hospitality packages available at the stadium including VIP Hospitality, Players’ Table, Man of the Match, Match Ball Experience, 1st Try Scorer and the use of Suites.
For more information about the various hospitality packages or to book, you can call the hospitality team on 0116 217 1215 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Tigers stadium is also available to hire for conferences and events. For more information you can contact the team on 0116 217 1280 or email email@example.com.
Leicester Tigers Tickets
You can buy tickets online here, or you can buy from the Tigers Ticket Office.
The opening times for the ticket office are:
Monday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Tuesday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Wednesday: 8:30am – 8:00pm
Thursday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Friday: 8:30am – 5:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am – 5:00pm (Non-matchday)
Tigers Ticket Office Address: Aylestone Road, Leicester, LE2 7TR
Telephone number: 0116 319 8888 (option 2)
You can find more information about tickets and prices on the Tigers website.